(Also see our Private Investigators Melbourne information)
Price is probably one of the first things you’ll think about before choosing a private eye. Hiring an investigator can be expensive. But if you do your homework, you’ll learn what your needs are, what a reasonable cost is, and how to avoid cut price operators who don’t deliver. Here’s how to control your private investigator costs.
Learn what investigation costs are involved
There are three basic types of investigation fees in Australia.
- Flat hourly rate. Depends on the type of service, for example surveillance on a cheating spouse.
- Mileage fees. If your case involves following a person, you will usually be charged per kilometre on top of the standard hourly rates. Mileage is usually charged from a call out location.
- Incidentals. Some cases will involve out of pocket expenses, like entry fees while carrying out surveillance. Your investigator should inform you of any incidental costs that might occur.
Reliable agencies will help you understand their pricing and not surprise you with any hidden extras.
Some questions to ask your investigator about costs
Make sure you get some clear answers before you sign up.
- What services (like finding people) do you think I will need, and for how long?
- How much will this cost? Will I get a firm quote?
- What happens if unexpected costs occur?
- What is your refund policy?
Here’s how to find a reliable investigator
Don’t base your choice of private investigator solely on price.
Some agencies try to win clients by undercutting market rates. But you always get what you pay for.
Don’t be fooled. You won’t get the results you need from an unprofessional outfit that doesn’t charge a reasonable rate. Cut price rates usually mean cut price results.
At Melbourne Investigations we often help people who have had little success with bad agencies. We’ve seen time and again that it’s far better to hire a quality private eye who can actually deliver. When it’s critical to get at the truth, like when you suspect an affair, you need reliable results.
So ring around to get a feel for the costs and services offered. Then you will have a better idea what a fair price is, as well as learning a lot about what you need. This knowledge will help you choose an agency you are confident will provide good value for money.
Find an investigation agency that is willing to work within your budget. This is especially true when a case requires extensive work or the assistance of more than one private investigator.
3 steps to find a good investigator
- Talk to several agencies before signing up
- Work out what you need and what a fair price is
- Avoid cut price operators.
We’re ready to talk
At Melbourne Investigations we know that hiring a private eye can be a big investment – in both trust and money. We provide up front pricing and always keep you informed of extra costs. And we work hard to make sure our customers always get fantastic value for money.
If you would like to talk about your needs or our pricing, contact Melbourne Investigations today.